In his book, The Way, Furrow, The Forge, St Josemaria Escriva lists 17 signs of humility.
If we’re honest, these 17 signs of a lack of humility are not unfamiliar to us at all because we all exhibit some of them.
If you want to fight a flaw, it’s good to know what they are.
So gird your loins, and here we go!
Heard a lot about Josemaria Escriva &
want to make up your own mind?
The 17 Signs of a Lack of Humility
- Thinking that what you do or say is better than what others do or say.
- Always wanting to get your own way.
- Arguing when you are not right or — when you are — insisting stubbornly or with bad manners.
- Giving your opinion without being asked for it, when charity does not demand you to do so.
- Despising the point of view of others.
- Not being aware that all the gifts and qualities you have are on loan.
- Not acknowledging that you are unworthy of all honour or esteem, even the ground you are treading on or the things you own.
- Mentioning yourself as an example in conversation.
- Speaking badly about yourself, so that they may form a good opinion of you, or contradict you.
- Making excuses when rebuked.
- Hiding some humiliating faults from your director, so that he may not lose the good opinion he has of you.
- Hearing praise with satisfaction, or being glad that others have spoken well of you.
- Being hurt that others are held in greater esteem than you.
- Refusing to carry out menial tasks.
- Seeking or wanting to be singled out.
- Letting drop words of self-praise in conversation, or words that might show your honesty, your wit or skill, your professional prestige.
- Being ashamed of not having certain possessions.
So, how can we grow in humility?
It’s a process and not easy. Take one day at a time.
Are you actively seeking to grow in humility? Share some tips.
- Abandonment to Divine Providence
- Divine Intimacy
- Happy Are You Poor
- Humility of Heart
- The Imitation of Christ
- Introduction to the Devout Life
- The Practice of the Presence of God
- The Sinner’s Guide on Amazon
- The Sinner’s Guide – Free Online
- The Way of Humility