The “Ave Regina Caelorum” is one of the four liturgical season Marian antiphons sung throughout the year.
It is sung from the Presentation of the Lord (The Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary), through Wednesday of Holy Week.
The other three are the Regina Caeli (sung during liturgical Easter), the Salve Regina (from Trinity Sunday until the Saturday before Advent), and the Alma Redemptoris Mater (Advent through February 2).
These antiphons are rarely sung anymore except in some traditional parishes.
If you attend a parish where the antiphons are regularly sung, you are blessed.
But even if you don’t, you can learn the Ave Regina Caelorum in Latin and English.
Ave Regina Caelorum in Latin
Ave, Regina caelorum,
Ave, Domina Angelorum:
Salve, radix, salve, porta
Ex qua mundo lux est orta:
Gaude, Virgo gloriosa,
Super omnes speciosa,
Vale, o valde decora,
Et pro nobis Christum exora.
V. Dignare me laudare te, Virgo sacrata.
R. Da mihi virtutem contra hostes tuos.
Oremus. Concede, misericors Deus, fragilitati nostrae praesidium: ut, qui sanctae Dei Genitricis memoriam agimus; intercessionis eius auxilio, a nostris iniquitatibus resurgamus. Per eundem Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Ave Regina Caelorum in English (Hail O Queen of Heaven)
Hail, O Queen of Heaven
Welcome, O Queen of Heaven.
Welcome, O Lady of Angels
Hail! thou root, hail! thou gate
From whom unto the world, a light has arisen:
Rejoice, O glorious Virgin,
Lovely beyond all others,
Farewell, most beautiful maiden,
And pray for us to Christ.
V. Allow me to praise thee, O sacred Virgin.
R. Against thy enemies give me strength.
Grant unto us, O merciful God, a defense against our weakness, that we who remember the holy Mother of God, by the help of her intercession, may rise from our iniquities, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.
Beauty So Ancient is 100% reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional charge to you. Thanks for your support!
Love Mary? Check Out These Resources
- The Glories of Mary by St Alphonsus Liguori; ” One of the great doctors of the Church, St. Alphonsus Liguori assembled the finest information on Our Lady from the many writings of the saints, holy authors, and Sacred Scripture.”
- Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God by Scott Hahn: “Scott Hahn illuminates a fresh and enlightening perspective on Mary, Mother of God, and her central importance in the Christian faith.”
- Manual for Marian Devotion by the Dominican Sisters of Mary: “The Manual for Marian Devotion will deepen your relationship with Mary and, in doing so, draw you closer to her Son.”
- Mary, the Church at the Source by Hans Urs von Balthasar & Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger: “Two great theologians endeavor to recover the centrality of Marian doctrine and devotion for the contemporary Church, offering a spiritually rich approach to Mariology that brings into new relief the Marian contours of ecclesial faith. “
- True Devotion to Mary: with Preparation for Total Consecration (St Louis de Montfort: “True Devotion to Mary is St Louis de Montfort’s classic statement on the spiritual way to Jesus Christ though the Blessed Virgin Mary.”
- The World’s First Love by Bishop Fulton Sheen: “Fulton J. Sheen presents a moving portrayal of the Blessed Virgin Mary that combines deep spirituality with history, philosophy and theology.”