One might wonder why a Catholic prayer against depression even exists, since Catholics have every reason to have joy. Jesus himself said:
[otw_shortcode_quote border_style=”bordered”]”These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and your joy may be filled.” John 15:11. /otw_shortcode_quote]
If this is so, why is there depression in our midst?
It is because we are human, and as humans we have both low and high points.
Although depression, especially clinical depression, is very complex, as Catholics we understand that along with any physical or mental components, there is usually a spiritual component. It is not one or the other.
The first remedy should be the spiritual life, including prayer, confession & spiritual direction. This addresses the spiritual component. In addition, one can consult a doctor and a therapist if care is needed for the body or the mind.
What the Catholic Prayer Against Depression Affirms
This prayer reminds us of some very important facts.
- Darkness is real. Life is not all perfume and roses.
- God is always present, although we don’t always feel his presence.
- We are weak without God, and therefore, we can find strength in God.
- We have nothing to fear.
- God’s plans for our life may be murky, but one day it will become clear.
- In the end, we should pray for God’s will in all.
Pray this prayer if you’re feeling particularly depressed or just discouraged.
St Ignatius of Loyola Prayer Against Depression
O Christ Jesus
When all is darkness
And we feel our weakness and helplessness,
Give us the sense of Your Presence,
Your Love and Your Strength.
Help us to have perfect trust
In Your protecting love
And strengthening power,
So that nothing may frighten or worry us,
For, living close to You,
We shall see Your Hand,
Your Purpose, Your Will, through all things.
By St. Ignatius of Loyola
Love Traditional Catholic prayers? Check out the Pieta Prayer Book
When you buy one of our recommended products, we sometimes get a commission. Thanks so much for supporting our work!
Latest posts by BeautySoAncient (see all)
- 10 Saints Quotes on Suffering To Help You Deal - February 27, 2020
- ARE YOU A LENTEN LUNATIC? ON MARY, THE MOON AND LENT - February 24, 2020
- Prayer Before Surgery – Put Your Life in God’s Hands - February 19, 2020