If you’re looking for a prayer before surgery, here are three you can pray.
Surgery can be terrifying.
We literally put our life in the hands of fallible human beings.
However, as Catholics, we know that Our Lord is in control.
Sometimes we want to pray for a friend who is having surgery, but just end up saying, “I’ll pray for you”.
So, now you have three short prayers that you can pray before and also after surgery.
Prayer Before Surgery
Loving Father, I entrust myself to your care this day; guide with wisdom and skill the minds and hands of the medical people who minister in your Name, and grant that every cause of illness be removed, I may be restored to soundness of health and learn to live in more perfect harmony with you and with those around me. Through Jesus Christ. Into your hands, I commend my body and my soul.
Prayer After Surgery
Blessed Savior, I thank you that this operation is safely past, and now I rest in your abiding presence, relaxing every tension, releasing every care and anxiety, receiving more and more of your healing life into every part of my being. In moments of pain I turn to you for strength, in times of loneliness I feel your loving nearness. Grant that your life and love and joy may flow through me for the healing of others in your name.
Prayer to St Luke
Most charming and saintly Physician, you were animated by the heavenly Spirit of Love. In faithfully detailing of the humanity of Jesus, you also showed His divinity and His genuine compassion for all human beings. Inspire our physicians with your professionalism and with the divine compassion for their patients. Enable them to cure the ills of both body and spirit that afflict so many in our day.
Resources on the Cross & Suffering
- Abandonment to Divine Providence
- Consoling Thoughts on Trials of an Interior Life by St Francis de Sales
- Consoling Thoughts on Sickness & Death by St Francis de Sales
- Joy in Suffering
- Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: The Secret of Peace and Happiness
- The Life of St Gemma Galgani
Latest posts by BeautySoAncient (see all)
- Three Days of Darkness: Nonsense or True Prophecy? - April 1, 2020
- The Litany of Humility – Pray Daily to Cultivate Humility - March 24, 2020
- The “Stella Caeli Extirpavit” Chant in Time of Pestilence (English & Latin) - March 20, 2020