Preppers, or survivalists, as they are usually called, are people who believe “catastrophic disaster or emergency is likely to occur in the future and makes active preparations for it, typically by stockpiling food, ammunition, and other supplies.”
Do You Have to Go Off the Grid In Order to be A Survivalist or Prepper?
Some preppers live off the grid, which means they live without any reliance on one or more public utilities like electricity.
However, you can be a prepper who lives in an apartment.
There are lots of resources out there, to get you started, but at the minimum, you need food supply, water, medical kits and power kits.
I’ve been thinking about prepping for a while
But why didn’t I start?
Basically, the definition above is the COMPLETE opposite of me. My outdoor skills are essentially non-existent, having been raised in New York City. I’ve never even been in a real camping environment and wouldn’t even know how to power up a propane grill.
My homemaker skills are minimal. The only skill I have in that area is cooking. I can sew on some buttons and hem some pants – barely.
In other words, if there were to be a great catastrophe, I would probably last a month if some generous soul doesn’t take pity upon me and shelter me for a time.
But Then Came the Pandemic
And suddenly, it’s really clear that I have to prep.
You’re probably on this page because you have been thinking of becoming a survivalist (prepper), but don’t know how.
FOOD STORAGE: The At-Risk Food Supply Chain
After the great toilet paper shortage, people are beginning to realize why it’s important to slow stock up on extras.
If people regularly had an extra box of toilet tissue, no one would be panicking and hoarding the tissue.
Our food supply chains are actually at risk.
Because of our interrupted Food Supply Chain, it’s important for us to start to store food.
Here are a Some Companies That Provide Food Kits & How-To products that might help you.
Augason farms is a pioneer in the survival supplies business. This family-owned business has been around since 1972 and know what they’re doing.
According to Augason’s site:
- Several Augason Farm food kits exceed the USDA recommendation of 2,000+ calories per day.
- Our customers have discovered the Augason difference and give us an average Google Seller Review of 4.5 stars.
- Our retail clients include such well-known and respected companies as Walmart, Associated Foods, WinCo, Sam’s Club and Costco, just to name a few.
Items they provide include:
- Emergency Food (From 72-hour to one year)
- Supplies (water, gear, power)
- Food storage
If you’re a “tough guy” type, who like information straight and to the point, this might be for you.
Frank Mitchell is an ex-military who is an expert at survival skills.
Some of the included topics:
- How to use the trash in your garbage can to create enough clean drinking water to keep your family alive for months, without having to build anything or buy any expensive filters.
- How to make sure that your family never has to go without a hot meal.
- How to save a life, even if you have no medical experience.The truth about having a gun. Just having a gun in your house does you no good. If you don’t know what to do and how to do it you’re more of a danger than a protector.
- What information to stockpile and how to keep it safe from marauders.
You can literally trade this information for food, clean water, silver, weapons and anything else you need during a disaster. This one thing can turn you into a hero when disaster strikes.
- Learn where is the safest place for your family during a crisis. Hint, it’s not always best to stay home and it’s not always best to leave during a disaster.
- How to turn your home into a fortified bunker rivaling Fort Knox, without having to buy any expensive equipment.
- How to build a treasure trove of nutritious and delicious foods to keep you and your family healthy for months without having to buy any of those expensive “Disaster Kits.”
- How to find food if you need it once the disaster has already struck.
- How to get plugged into breaking news even if the TV and Internet are down.
- Understanding the difference between short-term and long-term food supply.
- What is the single most important tool you can have is to both protect and provide for you and your family? It’s not a handgun, rifle or shotgun and most people overlook this indispensable item.
- What to do if you’re caught away from home when the hammer drops. Being caught away from your family when they need you most is the most helpless feeling in the world.
- How to build a medical kit that actually meets the needs of everyone you care for and will cost you less than half of what you’d spend on a store-bought kit.
This author of the book, Claude Davis, a well-known expert in the survivalist niche, practices what he preaches. Some of the items covered in the book:
- Making Your Own Beverages: Beer to Stronger Stuff
- Ginger Beer: Making Soda the Old Fashioned Way
- How North American Indians and Early Pioneers Made Pemmican
- Spycraft: Military Correspondence During The 1700’s to 1900’s
- Wild West Guns for SHTF and a Guide to Rolling Your Own Ammo
- How Our Forefathers Built Their Sawmills, Grain Mills,and Stamping Mills
- How Our Ancestors Made Herbal Poultice to Heal Their Wounds
- What Our Ancestors Were Foraging For? or How to Wildcraft Your Table
- How Our AncestorsNavigated Without Using a GPS System
- How Our Forefathers Made Knives
- How Our Forefathers Made Snow shoes for Survival
- How North California Native Americans Built Their Semi-subterranean Roundhouses
- Our Ancestors’Guide to Root Cellars
- Good Old Fashioned Cooking on an Open Flame
- Learning from Our Ancestors How to Preserve Water
- Learning from Our Ancestors How to Take Care of Our Hygiene When There Isn’t Anything to Buy
- How and Why I Prefer to Make Soap with Modern Ingredients
- Temporarily Installing a Wood-Burning Stove during Emergencies
- Making Traditional and Survival Bark Bread…….
- Trapping in Winter for Beaver and Muskrat Just like Our Forefathers Did
- How to Make a Smokehouse and Smoke Fish
- Survival Lessons From The Donner Party
Either one of these programs should set you well on your way to familiarizing and teaching you how to be a prepper. Hey, you might even become an expert!
Other Helpful Survival Resources.
- Prepper’s Long-Term Survival Guide: Book 2: More Life-Saving Strategies for Years of Self-Sufficient Living